Friday, February 24, 2006

Clive: Sufjan look-a-like?


Tell me, am I crazy or does Sufjan Stevens look just a little bit like a younger Clive Owen? I suggested this to somebody else and they said they didn't see it. Hmm...

Anyway, that's not my point. I'm short on time this morning, so I'll have to keep this brief. I admittedly wasn't a big Sufjan fan when I first heard some of his tunes, but I've come around recently. Oddly enough, I think the song to finally do it for me is not even available on any of his albums. From what I can tell, though, The 50 States Song is a staple of Sufjan's live shows. More than anything, I find the song demonstrates Stevens' knack for taking potentially trite material and making it feel bigger and better than it should.

In many ways, that's how I reacted when I first heard Illinoise. It's not that I thought it was bad music; it just didn't make me care. But judging by interviews, Sufjan doesn't appear to be out to impress anybody, so getting the most out of his music tends to be kind of a personal experience, explaining why it may be an aquired taste for some people. I don't know. I'm just rambling now.

Anyway, I found a live version of this song at Trees Lounge, which has a 50 States project of its own on the go right now. It's produced some interesting song choices, so it's worth checking out.

[mp3] Sufjan Stevens - The 50 States Song (live)

* Buy Illinoise

6 comments:

c said...

i like both clive and sufjan and never saw the resemblence until this very second. but clive is a hot daddy and sufjan is very boyish.
cool blog.
peace

supergurg said...

hehe they do look quite familiar 'eh!

thanks for the track,
Gurg

Anonymous said...

I HAD THE EXACT SAME THOUGHT AND HAVE BEEN TELLING PEOPLE THIS FOR WEEKS!!! really though, its uncanny.

Tenoka said...

i very much agree about the resemblance between the two. I was just watching a movie with clive in it, and then was on my computer looking at pictures and sufjan popped up. And for a second i thought it was clive. they do look alike.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Thank you! I could not agree more about the look-alike thing. I have been telling people that for a while, but they just don't get it. Thank you for saying it.

Patrick Hermelin said...

They definitely do!