Monday, February 13, 2006

A cold wind is blowin'

I make no excuses for it -- I'm just not a big fan of winter. For one, it's really cold. What other reason do you need? I don't really mind the snow, but I don't like that my entire environment is turned into a big freezer box.

On that note, here are some cold and wintery songs. First, a tune that is deceptively cheerful from Saint John favourites The Port City Allstars. Winter Girl is from the trio's On Safari album, which is packed with equally silly and yet very endearing songs. Granted, I can appreciate that their lo-fi pop approach may not be for everybody, but to me this stuff is like sunshine in a bag. Great for a cold February morning.

Now, a song that will send a genuine chill down your spine: Cold Wind by The Arcade Fire. I'm told that this song was used in the final episode of the tv show Six Feet Under. I'm a big fan of the show, but I'm only on the third season so far. Judging by the song though, that must be one intensely sublime and heartbreaking finale.

[mp3] The Port City Allstars - Winter Girl
[mp3] The Arcade Fire - Cold Wind

* Buy The Port City Allstars' albums at Backstreet Records in Fredericton & Saint John
* Cold Wind is available on the Six Feet Under Soundtrack Vol. 2

No comments: