Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Guilty Until Proven Awesome (Remix)

You know what I love? Really awesome remixes. Yeah sure, there are plenty of bad ones too -- trust me, I've heard lots of 'em. But very little beats the feeling of hearing a song you've always loved turned into something that you can appreciate in a completely new way. It's like experiencing the song for the first time again.

When I first discovered The Faint, I was a little obsessive, as I get with many bands when I love them at first listen. Their remix album that followed shortly after Danse Macabre was much like any other remix album: interesting, but ultimately not a great album. I don't think anyone's ever been able to pull that off with this type of compilation. Maybe I'm wrong, please correct me. Even so, an album based around such great source material is bound to produce at least a couple of great re-interpretations and the first one that caught my attention was The Calculators remix of Posed To Death. I almost relate more closely to this version now than the original. Whenever I hear the album, I wonder where all those little details I liked disappeared to.

I could say the same about the Styrofoam remix of The Postal Service's Nothing Better. This is a track that would easily be album-worthy if Postal Service ever did a Danse Macabre style remix collection. In some ways, I actually prefer it to the original.

Finally, these Metric and Stars remixes have popped up on various blogs over the last few months and with good reason. They are simply excellent.

[mp3] The Faint - Posed To Death (Calculators Mix)
[mp3] The Postal Service - Nothing Better (Styrofoam Mix)
[mp3] Stars - Ageless Beauty (Most Serene Republic Remix)
[mp3] Metric - Monster Hospital (MSTRKRFT Mix)

* Buy Danse Macabre Remixes by The Faint
* Buy We Will Become Silhouettes EP by The Postal Service

4 comments:

collette said...

oh i LOOOVE that metric remix! xxoo c

sucka pants said...

um yeah, that Metric is quite killer.

Ndesh said...

Ah, brilliant, that metric remix couples up with "Justice vs Simian - Never be alone" sooo nice!
Thanks for the tip!

vfdvgf said...

We are sell wow gold and wow power leveling wow gold