Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I will make it through this year if it kills me


If you haven’t heard of The Mountain Goats before, they are from North Carolina (I think), and have released nine or so CDs. They have been a relatively new discovery to me. A friend introduced them to me as she noticed I hadn’t stopped playing The DecemberistsPicaresque for weeks.

There is something to be said about John Darnielle’s lyrics for being so honest. His new Mountain Goats’ CD, The Sunset Tree, is about him being abused as a child. One would imagine that that would make this a painful album to listen to, but his songwriting tells the stories with courage and honour. Enjoy!

[mp3] The Mountain Goats - Broom People
[mp3] The Mountain Goats - This Year
[mp3] The Mountain Goats - Love Love Love

*Buy The Sunset Tree at Amazon

5 comments:

Matty said...

Really enjoy the Mountain Goats stuff - This Year was one of my favourite songs of last year. My favourite of his is an older one called "See America Right" - check it if you have the time! Thanks for the post!

The Trick said...

"This Year" is a great tune.

Greg said...

The Mountain Goats rule! Good post -- and do buy the CD, y'all.

Anonymous said...

the mountain goats are from california.

Anonymous said...

nthe mountain goats are from california.