Tuesday, February 14, 2006

An outlaw for my love

Yes, it's Valentine's Day. As a sucker for romance and a music fan (all pop songs are about girls, right?), this just happens to be one of those occasions I can't ignore. I'm sorry...

I'm not really sure what makes a good love song. My favourites are all very different pieces of music. Last year I finally got my act together and decided to forge ahead into that unexplored territory known as the romantic music mix. Inspired by the anniversary of meeting my girlfriend 5 years earlier, I collected 13 songs on a CD as a present. I even designed a pretty cover and everything, although to this day I don't think she's ever received a proper colour print of it. I'm sorry...

On the bright side, this mix has actually stood the test of time for me and I don't really regret any of the song choices. I think its greatest strength is the sheer range of emotions covered in the span of an hour. There is giddy love, there is sensuality, there is sexuality, and there is even a little bit of that mixed-up-bitter-confusion that's a part of any relationship sometimes. I guess the conclusion I've come to is that this is really more of a relationship-mix than a romance-mix. Maybe I'll get it right next time. Again, sorry...

1. The Ramones - I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend (demo version)
2. Moon Socket - More Like You
3. Al Green - I Wanna Hold Your Hand
4. Jesus & Mary Chain - Just Like Honey
5. The Smiths - There is a Light that Never Goes Out
6. Daft Punk - Digital Love
7. Blackalicious - Make You Feel That Way
8. Nina Simone - I Put A Spell On You
9. Bjork - Unravel
10. Roddy Frame - Mixed Up Love
11. Mike O'Neill - Camera Shy
12. Blur - Tender
13. Big Star - Thirteen

[mp3] Big Star - Thirteen
[mp3] Bjork - Unravel

* Unravel can be bought on Homogenic
* Thirteen can be bought on this nifty 2-album pack

No comments: