Friday, March 24, 2006

10 Provinces Special: Blast From The Past

Anyone who grew up in Canada (and possibly elsewhere) in the 80s and 90s probably has at least a few memories of Gowan. I remember being mesmerized as a child by the video for Criminal Mind. I mean, it's just so deep! Either that, or the funny cartoon characters were appealing to my 7 year-old intellect.

Remember the sake-drinking on Oscar Night I wrote about a little while ago? Well, after we were done with that bottle, we started reminiscing about random music. At one point, Travis blurted out, "Strange Animal!" and our fate was sealed as we launched ourselved into a frenzy searching for Gowan songs.

From what I know, Gowan continued touring throughout the 90s and even released a few more albums. However, I didn't know (until just now) that he also replaced Dennis DeYoung as the lead singer and keyboard player of Styx a few years ago. I hope that's working out great, but honestly, I'll take Gowan over Styx anyday.

The moral of the story is: don't drink and download. Either that, or prepare to face the humiliation of your friends when they go digging through your iTunes library.

[mp3] Gowan - (You're A) Strange Animal
[mp3] Gowan - Criminal Mind

* Buy Strange Animal
* Our final province will be up before the end of the day. Go Manitoba!

3 comments:

EvilBiscuit said...

Wow... Gowan...
Funny thing is, he's my "brush with fame". See, about 10 years ago I used to work at a cafe in Fredericton. One afternoon he walks in the door and asks for a cappuccino. Of course, I couldn't let him pay for it, so I buy it for him and bring it over to his table. He thanks me and asks what I'm up to that night. I was a little taken aback till he tells me he's doing a show and having something of a party afterwards. He's handing out a few "passes" as well. It may not sound like much, but it was my one chance to get crazy hanging out with a legitimate "rock icon".

Now, I'm stuck working a double-shift so I start calling around trying to get covered so I can get my drunk on. No luck. Not one of the ungrateful bastards I was employed with would help me out. I ask, no - I beg - the manager to help me out. I know he's going to be there all night anyway playing Quake. The fucker says he can't.

I ended up making the mistake of thinking that the job was worth keeping. I should've quit on the spot. Turns out 2 of my good friends went without me and ran the streets till 4:00am with none other than Larry Gowan. God Dammit!

This may sound pathetic, but it's all I got.

Dinah said...

Yay, Gowan! One of my best friendships was cemented upon the discovery that I owned his "Best of" CD.

The Trick said...

Cool story, evilbiscuit!