Sunday, March 26, 2006

At A Loss For Words

I can't believe the 10 Provinces series is over. What am I supposed to write about now? First, I found inspiration over at Mocking Music, who posted a review of a band called Hot One, including Emm Gryner on bass. I've been an Emm Gryner fan for years and I thought maybe this would be a great opportunity to do a feature. Once again, Mocking Music has all the angles covered. See here. Not only does the article offer a nice retrospective, but a complete live show comes with it.

While I try to figure out what I should do next, check out these soundtrack tunes. Each one was selected for having appeared during a memorable film scene, even if they don't necessarily appear on the official CD soundtrack. I believe Travis has some movie-related posts coming up soon, so consider these warmup tracks.

[mp3] The Pixies - Where Is My Mind? (Fight Club)
[mp3] Death in Vegas - Girls (Lost in Translation)
[mp3] Grandaddy - A.M. 180 (28 Days Later)
[mp3] INXS - Never Tear Us Apart (Donnie Darko)

* Since Donnie Darko came up here, I have a related link. Marvellous Musical Melodies has a crazy selection of covers of the song "Mad World," including the Gary Jules version and the original Tears For Fears recording.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - the Pixies sound like Modest Mouse heh heh... (or is it the other way around?)

Frank

The Trick said...

Well, the Pixies track is from 1988 and Modest Mouse didn't form until about 5 years later, so yes, I guess it is the other way around. Cheers!

supergurg said...

appreciate the linkage Trav :)

Gurg @ Marvellous M M

Casey Dorrell said...

Thanks for making us sound better than we are.

Also, liking the regular movie tie-ins.