Wednesday, April 05, 2006

100 Posts of Awesomeness: The Contest

If you can believe it, we've reached our 100th post here at Awesome Until Proven Guilty. Travis and I have been deliberating for the last week what we should do to mark the occasion. And honestly, we're still not sure of ourselves. Have we gone crazy? Who knows, but I'm here to announce the first ever AUPG contest! Here's how it works:

We want you to write a short poem about something that you, personally, find awesome. This is important. Everything about your poem must emanate awesomeness. It can be about a band, a movie, a person, a place, whatever. You can write it as a haiku, limerick, sonnet, free form, whatever... As long as you feel it's awesome. When you've completed your masterpiece, you can either post it in the comments or email it directly to us. Make sure we can get in touch with you!

In a week (next Wednesday), we will choose a winner. The writer of our favourite entry will receive a pair of mix CDs made personally by Travis and The Trick. How's that for awesome? So send us your stuff! And have a crazy party! Woot!

[mp3] Kanye West - Celebration
[mp3] Andrew WK - Party Hard
[mp3] The Beatles - Birthday

* Buy music by Kanye West, Andrew WK, and The Beatles.

7 comments:

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary said...

I wrote this a while ago and it's not even about awesomeness (it is, in fact, about non-awesomeness), but nonetheless:

The Mars Volta

I do not like The Mars Volta
I do not like them, John Travolta

I do not like them with a cola
I do not like them with ebola

I do not like them in the car
I do not like them in a bar

I do not like them in magazines
I would not like them if they covered Ween

I do not like them on T.V.
I will not like them eventually

I do not like The Mars Volta
I do not like them, John Travolta

(ps: I deleted my first comment because of shameful type-o's)

asparagus said...

A letter to Isis

It's the beautiful progression of serene chaos
that you involve yourselves in.
the way you can make someone feel
like a simple shadow from a window
...... to a black angel.

it's the sounds i love,
that had ceased to exist for years
then you gave it to me
opening up the darkness,
and letting all it's beauty fall out.

thank you.


-meghan

boyhowdy said...

My poem is called Gwenyth Paltrow. Ahem...

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art (taller)(sweaty) more awesome, and more temperate
Whatever that means.

Man, that Shakespeare was awesome, was't he?
So awesome that he got to sleep with that hot girl
In that chick movie.

Of course, back in Shakespeare's time
When you said something was awesome
You meant it was all inspiring and shit.

But still. I mean, fuck, you know?
Plus, now that movie thing is going to bother me
all night.

Good thing there's the IMDB.

Awesome.

boyhowdy said...

Second Draft -- if multiple submissions are allowed, that is:


The Internet Is Such a Distraction
(or: Turns Out Gwenyth Paltrow Is Awesome)


Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art taller. Or sweaty. Or more awesome, and more temperate
Whatever that means.

Man, that Shakespeare was awesome, was't he?
So awesome that he got to sleep with that hot girl
In that chick movie.

Of course, back in Shakespeare's time
When you said something was awesome
You meant it was all inspiring and shit.

But still. I mean, fuck, you know?
Plus, now that movie thing is going to bother me all night.
Good thing there's the IMDB.

Oh yeah. Gwyneth Paltrow.
Didn't she name her daughter, like, Fruit or something?
Oh, and she's married to the Coldplay guy.

Awesome.

Dinah said...

This is a sonnet that I wrote in the 10th Grade, so it's authentic. It's about the awesomeness and uncertainty of a really big crush on a friend. I actually submitted this as part of a poetry project, and my teacher suggested that I turn it into a country song.

Anyway.

Contemplation

Sometimes I wonder why I do not say
All of the emotion deep in my heart
I long to tell you, in whatever way
The problem is, I don’t know how to start
How do I tell you of all I do feel?
To let go of feelings I tried to tame?
I’d look at you to show you it was real,
And I would pray that you would feel the same.
But what’d happen if you didn’t react?
Just sat there looking blankly at my face
Everything would change, I know for a fact,
That no one else could ever take your place.
Oh, I wish I knew what was the right call;
I’ll end up with love - or nothing at all.

Kathy said...

Ode to the Peppers

The Red Hots rock my socks
It seems their knocks could block most any shock

They walk the walk and talk the talk
They are the California kings of rock
They may be mocked by younger stock
but they can still rock 'round the clock

Whether sporting a buzz or rawkin the 'hawk
Or Antwan's 90's waist-length locks
Those Peppers sure are flippin hot
They will not ever be forgot

How we miss the days
they rocked the sock on cock