Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Peter Parkers: Spider-band

It's been a while since I last posted some local music. Not only do Moncton's The Peter Parkers have an awesome name, but they're easily one of the most intense bands from this area I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. The band's myspace says they sound like, "Dropping a car battery on your sack." That's one way of putting it.

Essentially, what The Peter Parkers do well is make a lot out of very little. Although they've certainly cobbled together some memorable melodies in their time, I find the most appealing aspect of their live shows to be their ability to take very minimalistic song ideas and make them feel powerful and purposeful. It's definitely not very accessible music, but it's music that has an urgent and immediate impact on me.

The band has been playing these parts for a solid ten years or so, but these three songs are all from their latest album, This is Sity Music. "Ghostown Belle (Fast Love)" is about as poppy as this band gets, while "Can You Feel Me?" is manic insanity and "Night of the Long Knives" is gloomy and cold. They're actually very different tracks, now that I think about it. I'll recommend these for fans of My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, and Eric's Trip.

[mp3] The Peter Parkers - Ghostown Belle (Fast Love)
[mp3] The Peter Parkers - Can You Feel Me?
[mp3] The Peter Parkers - Night of the Long Knives

* Buy This is Sity Music
* If you're a geek like me, you've probably already seen this.

No comments: