Monday, May 15, 2006

Doom and Destruction

Since Travis has started the day off on a particularly aggressive note, I'm gonna ride that theme a little longer. It's easy to ignore parts of your music collection sometimes when there's so much good new music out there, just waiting to be discovered. For me it tends to happen with the heavy stuff, but then when I dig it out again, I remember why I have these songs in the first place.

The Sword are an Austin, Texas band playing some seriously ballsy Sabbath-ish metal. Every note and drum hit feels like a ton of bricks smashing you in the face. I mean that in the best way possible, of course. The song "Barael's Blade" is available on the band's Age of Winters album, released earlier this year.

Refused were introduced to me well after the band had already split up in 1998. On the bright side, singer Dennis Lyxzen went on to form the equally spectacular International Noise Conspiracy. Although I enjoy that band too, they didn't deliver nearly the same level of ferocity and intensity.

[mp3] The Sword - Barael's Blade
[mp3] Refused - New Noise

* Buy The Sword - Age of Winters
* Buy Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

No comments: