Monday, May 29, 2006

My guide to being funky pt.2

The Present

Yes, I have returned. I promised a part two of my “how to be funky” and I will pull though now. The last post was all about musicians who inspired me to be funky; this post is about musicians who are releasing music right now that is funky as heck.

Gnarls Barkley have definitely been the hot story of the year so far. Their first single Crazy is still crazy popular and I still have people coming up to me asking me if I have heard it because they just did and they love it. This blend of talent really works well. Cee-lo is and established rapper songwriter, previously collaborating with Carlos Santana, OutKast and a bunch more. He was the guy who sand the backup vocals on TLC’s Waterfalls and the genius behind Pussycat Doll’s Don’t Cha (grunt). The first I ever heard of Danger Mouse was his mash up of the Beatles White Album with Jay-Z’s Black Album, releasing… the Gray Album obviously. He also Produced Gorillaz last album Demon Days.
[mp3] Gnarls Barkley - Smiley Faces


Buck 65 has a special place in all hearts of people from Atlantic Canada. Although he has received critical acclaim across the world he is still yet to receive much commercial success. His albums are released by Warner all around the world, but not Warner USA for some reason. He recently broke a deal with V2 to have his latest 2 albums available in the States. His sound has noticibly changed over the years away from the traditional hip-hop sound to more folky electronica (oh yeah!). If you have ever seen Trailer Park Boys, Julian almost always plays Buck 65 in his car. In the Aug2004 issue of kerrang he sparks a little controversy saying that he has grown to hate hip-hop and that “people behind hip hop don’t know anything about music theory.” He later apologized, saying that he had gone overboard after being provoked by the interviewer.
[mp3] Buck 65 - Wicked and Weird


Jamioquai is in fact the name of Jay Kay’s band not his name as is often misinterpreted. He has been a staple is the modern funk scene for over a decade. He has recently been expressing much distain over his record label Sony. He recently said in an interview for the Sydney Morning Herald “These days it's 18% music and it's bloody 82% marketing bullshit ... Next time I do an album, I'm gonna put it up on the internet for five fucking dollars.” Out of contractual obligation he will have to release a greatest hits album in 2006. "2006, they're out of the fucking picture. Take your greatest hits and stick it up your fucking arse."
[mp3] Jamiroquai - (Don't) Give Hate a Chance


Jamie Lidell is a British electronic soul artist. Lidell takes us back to the 60s and covers all the bases up to todays funk. He is a relatively new discovery for me, but in my curious research I have found many critics claiming him to be the new heir of funkyness. And he is always, always compaired to Jamiroquai's Jay Kay, being another white british man who is getting funky.
[mp3] Jamie Lidell - When I Come Back Around

Prince released his first album in 1978 and is widely known as being hard to work with. He changed his name to O(+> and would be known as “the artist formerly known as prince”. He explains the name change “The first step I have taken towards the ultimate goal of emancipation from the chains that bind me to Warner Brothers was to change my name from Prince to O(+>. Prince is the name that my Mother gave me at birth. Warner Bros. took the name, trademarked it, and used it as the main marketing tool to promote all of the music that I wrote. The company owns the name Prince and all related music marketed under Prince. I became merely a pawn used to produce more money for Warner Bros...” He returned to his given name in 2000. In the Dec2004 issue of Rolling Stone he was voted best male performer and most welcome comeback.
[mp3] Prince - Lolita

No comments: