Monday, July 31, 2006

Rockstar: censorship edition

Rockstar: INXS was one of my guilty tv pleasures last year and so I have to admit I was kind of looking forward to the new Supernova edition, even though I have zero interest in the people forming this new band. It's a silly competition for sure, but it's surprisingly entertaining and the song choices are easily the most interesting for a tv show of this type (that I've seen). It beats the hell out of American Idol, at least.

Since it gets sent out to millions of people every week, maybe I shouldn't be surprised that the show would edit (read: censor) its songs, but at the same time it really takes you out of the "reality" of the show. The segment that irked me was Dilana's third week performance of "Zombie" by The Cranberries. Though the verses were kept mostly intact, all lines about "tanks," "guns," "bombs," and "fighting" were changed or removed. I don't understand the point of choosing such an unapologetically angry and passionate song if you intend to neuter it anyway. That's not very rock 'n roll; especially for a show where the judges constantly tell the contestants that they want to see more grit, more balls, and more rebellion.

I wouldn't dream of blaming Dilana, since this was probably a producer's decision, but come on... Who is the show trying to fool? America is at war and it's not exactly a secret. If you don't want to draw attention to that fact, maybe Rockstar needs to start looking at more "pleasant" songs.

[mp3] The Cranberries - Zombie
[mp3] Dilana Robichaux - Zombie

* My Old Kentucky Blog has been giving reports on the show, which is awesome
* The performance mp3 came from Jeepney Diaries, which is also awesome

No comments: