Monday, September 11, 2006

I have not forgot, but a silence crept over me.

Alrighty... Me again.

Joanna Newsom has really been attracting much buzz lately thanks to the mass leak of her new album Ys, which is not due out until November. Really, Miss Newsom has been at the forefront of the Psych-Folk movement since Milk-Eyed Mender came out in 2004. Along with artists like Devendra Banhart, Antony and the Johnsons, Animal Collective and Vetiver, they have established a whole new genre of interesting, thoughtful music that is still really fun to listen to. Those are the bands that I enjoy, anyway.

Joanna plays harp (not the harmonica kind of harp, a real harp) and although she certainly uses many classical harp techniques, her harp style is much different than a classical harpist. Her voice is... unique. It is at first a bit alarming and perhaps a bit too childish for the closed-minded. Anyone who can just sit down and listen, however, will get a great deal out of her album whether listening while running, driving, falling asleep, or sitting on your patio enjoying a cold one.

I am excited for her new album to be released so I can hear it in its entirety. Suposedly all the songs will be acompanied by a full orchestra. However, I am not posting any of those leaked songs. The song "Sadie" is from Milk-Eyed Mender and it happens to be one of my favorite examples of modern artists with good songwriting skills; it is a beautiful song. Enjoy!

[mp3] Joanna Newsom - Sadie

* Buy Milk-Eyed Mender

1 comment:

aimee. said...

Cannot begin to express my Joanna Newsom love.