Monday, December 18, 2006

Thank you, Gary

We do occasionally report on local music news on this blog and today I heard about something that was just too big to pass over. New Brunswick synthpop legend Gary Flanagan is officially retiring from the stage. Gary says he will continue to record, but that he is unable to continue performing live. Anyone who has ever seen Gary perform will surely tell you it was a one-of-a-kind experience. Someone's going to have to pick up some serious slack if we ever expect to make up for the enthusiasm and charisma Gary used to bring to his shows.

From Gary himself:
Yes, it's true, my days performing live are coming to an end. Many of you know that I have been dealing with numerous health issues over the past year, and it has gotten to a point where I am having more and more difficulty finding the energy or the focus to perform live. I will still continue to write and record new music, yet the live element will come to an end. Hopefully, someday when I am feeling better I will resume my live shows, but for the time being I'm really not in any state of mind or body to play live.

Many thanks to everyone who has come out to the shows in the past and given me your support. You rock!
Gary's final show will be this Friday (Dec. 22) at Elwoods in Saint John. He will be joined by The Wooden Wives, The Fedoras, Moses D. Cannibal, Moondawg Astrotripper, and DJ Hawk. Admission is free!

[mp3] Gary Flanagan - Nightclub (clip)

Listen to Gary on his Myspace

No comments: