Thursday, December 21, 2006

Travis's Best of 2006

Although there were no new Ryan Adams albums released this year (other than the 13 released only via stream on his site) there was still plenty of great music. Seriously though, has anyone listened to those albums... *sigh of disappointment* I mean, i know they were not serious albums but holy crap they are unlistenable.

This year was dominated mostly by new artists and their keyboards. With few exceptions my iTunes cranked out tons of Electronica this year. Here is my list:

10 - Joanna Newsom - Ys
I really really liked Milk-Eyed Mender so when the news came of a new album I was quite excited. Upon finding out that the album would be performed not only by Newsom and her harp but also by an entire orchestra, I was a little let down. I really enjoy the simplicity of her first full length and I was now expecting to be disappointed. Well folks, this album is breathtaking. All the arrangements are so beautiful you almost feel as though they could be accompanying some sort of old Disney movie.
[Buy It]



9 - Akron/Family - Meek Warrior
I know this is technically only an EP but it is so good it has to go on some list this year. Their self titled release was a very nice gentle album that remains one of my favorites, but for anyone who has ever seen this band live, they know that is simply not what they sound like. Meek Warrior is a much more accurate portrayal of the bands range and talent.
[Myspace] [Buy It]



8 - K'naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher
The Dusty Foot Philosopher is the only hip-hop album that made my list this year (Sorry Ghostface Killah) and admittedly I was introduced to K'naan by The Trick. K'naan really goes deep into some interesting issues with this album but he also has the catchy beats that shake my booty.
[Myspace] [Buy It]



7 - The Rapture - Pieces Of The People We Love
I attained this album purely on a recommendation by a friend and the first time I put it on, I was half asleep, walking around aimlessly downtown. I knew I had set it to shuffle songs and I was like "WTF Mate". I yanked out my iPod from my man purse and I was amazed to see that it had directed me to the second song on this album Get Myself Into It. I like this whole album but this song remains my favorite.
[Myspace] [Buy It]



6 - MSTRKRFT - The Looks
The news that Death from Above 1979 broke up was only comforted in knowing that Jesse Keeler can now devote more time into MSTRKRFT. This album has everything I wanted it to, even a video with dancing robots.
[Myspace] [Buy It]



5 - The Knife - Silent Shout
I once read a review of this album saying it sounded like "retarded robots farting laser beams". Although I do find that image hilarious, I neither condone the use of the word "retarded" or agree with the statement. It is atmospheric and spacey, but I like that.
[Myspace] [Buy It]



4 - Thom Yorke - The Eraser
When I first purchased this I gave it a listen over once while moderately intoxicated. I remember liking it a lot. It made me want to do a crazy dance in which my feet stay planted but my arms and hips wiggle and sway to the beats. I couldn't do this however because i couldn't really move off the bed at the time.
[Myspace] [Buy It]



3 - Mates of State - Bring it Back
The thing that I really like about Mates of State is their ability to sing together. They harmonize perfectly. This album is fantastic the whole way through, my only complaint is the "up pa pa pa like u crazy" part of Like U Crazy. I have been argued with about this, but I am sticking to my guns. This song would be better without it.
[Myspace] [Buy It]



2 - The Sounds - Dying to Say this to You
I think that The Sounds have gotten quite a bit of recognition this year. I would say more than anyone else on this list with the exception of Thom Yorke. It is all very well deserved as this is a great follow up to Living in America. On Dying to Say this to You the band really finds their own sound and less like a re-dub of 80s pop. I still like Living in America though :)
[Myspace] [Buy It]



Aaaaaaaand...




1 - Shout out out out out - Not Saying/Just Saying
Wow, this album really blew me away, there was just no competition for the number one spot on this list. With their well thought out lyrics in crazy vocoder style, their double drums, multiple basses and lots of keyboards, this album had me dancing up a storm all year. Shout out out out out have the heart and soul of a great rock band and apparently they put on an amazing live show. Please come to the east coast. We love you here.
[Myspace] [Buy It]


Well there you go that was this years tops in music. As you can tell I didn't add any MP3s due to a "new feature" in EZArchive. If anyone has come up with a solution to this please email us. See Ya!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how good the album is, but is there a better album cover than The Sounds?

Anonymous said...

Well for the record the album is really good too...