Thursday, September 27, 2007

Curtis vs. Graduation

No "Ghost of Genova Heights" for Trick, that is settled. I feel the need to say Campbell's vocals do not falter at all on this track and I found it quite interesting to see him take on this new subgenre on IOBATW. To me it feels like there is almost a divide between the first and second half of the album. The first being more radio friendly pop and the latter being more actually "good" songs. "Window Bird" is a fantastic song and, contrasting Trick, I feel the title track has an appropriate build up and conclusion.

I feel the need to comment on the quite prevalent album sales battle that seems to be going on between Kanye West and 50 Cent. Kanye changed the release date of Graduation from September 18 to the same release date as Curtis, September 11. This is clearly a challenge as we all know Kanye craves talent recognition.

The simple truth is I am not a fan of 50 Cent. I find his style of hip-hop too aggressive for my liking and with tracks like "My Gun Go Off", "Man Down", "I'll Still Kill" and "Fully Loaded Clip" it doesn't really seem like I have much chance enjoying this album. I have not heard Curtis and frankly unless I hear something good about it I won't even bother.

Graduation I have listened to straight through quite a bit. With perhaps the exception of "Drunk and Hot Girls" and "Stronger", his first single, I thoroughly enjoy it. On the topic of "Stronger" I quite liked the original sample track taken from Daft Punk and I found his production made the song boring. Stand out tracks for me are "Champion", "I Wonder", "Homecoming" and "Flashing Lights". For hip-hop Kanye is always very musical and takes this part of his production seriously. I appreciate that.

Kanye has my vote(as well as cash), what about you?

Official Site - 50 Cent
Official Site - Kanye West


Also: Hi, i am back. I'll try to be good.

1 comment:

The Trick said...

The Kanye album rocks! Er... I haven't heard anything from Curtis.