Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Octopus Project: Hello, Avalanche

I've written about The Octopus Project before. The band kinda stole my heart when I saw them touring with ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead several years ago. As unassuming as a band can be while wearing silly masks, they hit the stage and just rocked out a rolling set of electronic instrumentals that take a completely fresh approach to pop music.

Their latest, Hello, Avalanche, just arrived on the scene and from the sounds of it, the band is in better shape than ever. I've been particularly taken by the boopy Gameboy rock of "Truck," a song that urges you to do whatever it is you're doing better, faster, and with a smile on your face. As a whole, the new songs suggest the band is expanding their sonic palette somewhat, which is highlighted by the fact that this is probably also the best-sounding thing the band has done in terms of production. I have a feeling this will be in heavy rotation in my kitchen this winter.

[mp3] The Octopus Project - Truck
[mp3] The Octopus Project - Malaria Codes
[YouTube] The Octopus Project - Malaria Codes

No comments: