Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Rat-at-at

There are several albums I've been looking forward to this year and one of them is the new Ratatat, which is out in early July. As expected though, tracks have already been showing up around the web. "Shiller" came out of the gates first as probably one of the stranger things I've heard from the duo, but undeniably interesting.

The vibe I'm getting from most of these songs is that they're more developed than most of Classics and certainly a bit more experimental. I think that's a good thing, although a lot of people are likely to miss some of the danceable elements from the earlier albums. That said, I think what I miss most is the grandeur of arrangements that we haven't really heard since the self-titled debut. The early "Cherry" had a certain sublime beauty about it and the near-classic "Seventeen Years" stomps its way towards a tension-filled bridge that finally gives way to a surprisingly understated finale.

Of course, I shouldn't complain. The new songs bear the unmistakable stamp of Ratatat and that's still a pretty good thing, as far as I'm concerned, with "Mirando" being an early favorite.

[mp3] Ratatat - Mirando (LP3)
[mp3] Ratatat - Cherry (Self-titled)
[mp3] Björk - Wanderlust (Ratatat Remix)

[official site] Ratatat
[official site] Björk
[MySpace]
Ratatat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

miranda somewhat resembles mouse on mars (niun niggung, to be precise) with all of the odd samples in the beat. good track, can't wait for the album.

Ben said...

I like the track too. Some of the instrumentation of Miranda has a Matisyahu vibe, but still very Ratatat. It seem to lack a ton of intensity though. I dig more of the wildcat strength of their stuff. I hope those two are the lighter ones of their new album.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2OnlkgXjHig